After the Treasurers report, Wayne gave a summary of the upcoming rides which includes the overnight ride to Cherokee August 24th. If you haven’t made your motel reservation yet, be sure to call 828-497-3271. The September ride to Bedford, VA and the DD memorial will be September 6-8; a two night ride. The price at the Days Inn will be $63.75 per night.
David gave a fine presentation on the Missing In America Project. He has been in touch with Steve from the Chapin chapter and it would appear Chapter 3 has been given the opportunity to lead an escort of 7 remains of veterans from Greenville to Chapin on September 13th. This will be our first official involvement in this worthwhile project.
Jeff mentioned about the trip to Washington to help with the washing of the Korean War Memorial. This will be an ALRSC event. Jeff is going. If you are wanting to go to let us know. Dates are October 5 & 6.
The last ALR event we talked about was the upcoming ALRSC Meet & Greet being held at Hemmingway September 21st. IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON GOING, RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL. I need a head count asap. This is an annual event when all the Rider chapters from around the state get together for a good time of food and fellowship.
Minutes of ALR Chapter 3 monthly meeting called to order at 1830 hours 11 July 2013;
- We welcomed new members Bob Suchka (Such), Dennis Reid (from Post 107) and Mark Stephens into Chapter 3. New member Don Massey (from Post 107) wasn’t able to make it. I also mentioned that friends of David Colvin, David & Tracy Smith are interested in joining. WELCOME FOLKS! We are glad to have you on board.
- After the Treasurers Report we opened the floor for discussion on the Legacy Ride; suggestions and comments. There was good input from a number of members including Jeff and Wayne who also said they would like to serve on next years committee for the ride. Sandy collected all the donations that came in for the Fund. It was also mentioned how much work Sandy does in keeping all the books and membership records squared away and up to date. Thanks Sandy. I also mentioned that both Commander Patterson and Adjutant Collins contributed to the Fund through the Riders. Thanks to everyone who was able to help out on this worthy cause.
- I mentioned about how I appreciated the professionalism of Chapter 3 at the recent escort and funeral for PFC Barrett Austin. We were able to give the Chapter 3 plaque to a family member who broke down in tears when he received it. He said he would make sure the family would get it.
- I also encouraged members who participate in missions to make sure they send their reports in to Rog. I appreciate the time and effort Rog puts into the keeping of records for the Chapter.
- At the next meeting we’ll ask for an update on the MISSING IN AMERICA PROJECT from David, Mario and Steph.
- Upcoming events for the month of May were talked about:
- LEGACY RIDE coming up April 20 and 21st. We talked about the schedule and route for the ride. Jeff and 5 others will be leaving on Friday at noon, staging at the Dunkin Donuts on Wade Hampton Blvd. and heading over route 9 to Little River. They will be doing the whole ride. Most of the other riders will be meeting up Sunday morning at Tommy’s to hook up with the main group and finishing out the ride to Columbia. Try to have all your donation money collected and bring it with you to the May 2 chapter meeting. Keep in mind, that if you are not a current paid up to date member of Chapter 3, you will only be able to ride in the Legacy Ride as a guest and that will cost you $60. So renew your membership asap.
- COLVIN CHAPTER 3 PARTY April 27th around 2 pm. This is the weekend following the Legacy Ride. Sounds like David has a great time planned. Let him know if you are planning on attending.
- ARMED FORCES DAY PARADE, Greenville, May 18th. I attended the initial planning meeting and registered Chapter 3 for the parade. I also asked for 18 tickets to the ball game afterwards. It appears that there is going to be more participation in the parade this year then in the past. This is our “hometown” so let’s make an effort to be there for a great time. We will also have a display up in the stadium during the game.
- MEMORIAL DAY CEREMONY at County Square, May 27th at 10am. The Department of Veteran’s Affairs organizes this ceremony and this year has asked if Chapter 3 would participate in the ceremony. Not sure what it will involve but it is a great opportunity for us to be part of this tradition in Greenville.
- AMERICAN LEGION SUMMER CONVENTION May 31-June 2 being held here in Greenville at the Hyatt. We will be involved on Saturday, June 1 beginning around 9 am with the presentation of the Legacy Ride checks to the State Commander. Afterwards, probably around 11 am, all the riders will be going on a ride up to the mountains for lunch and then back around 14:00. Our meeting will be at 15:00. Make sure you give Sandy your $20 registration fee at our May 2 meeting. Also, Mario will be organizing a color guard for the posting of the colors at our 15:00 meeting.
- MISSING IN AMERICA PROJECT. The chapter voted to get involved in this project headed up by Mario, David and Stephanie. This is a great opportunity for our chapter and a worthwhile project reserved only for a veterans group. Those of you who participated in the March 21st mission know what I’m talking about.
As most of you know, Mr. Donald Tatro was laid to rest at Fort Jackson National Veterans Cemetery with full military honors. Three Chapter 3 members were able to join 68 ALR and PGR riders for a very moving escort from Gaffney to Chapin to Fort Jackson.
PVT Donald Tatro born in Burlington, VT 10 Jan 1931, deceased 19 Jul 2008, Gaffney, SC. PVT Tatro was an infantryman in the 33rd Infantry Regiment from, 4 Feb 1948 to 7 May 1952.
Folks, I was proud to be an American Legion Rider that day!