Chapter 3 Monthly Meeting May 2, 2013
Following is a brief summary of last nights meeting. Well, maybe not so brief!
- We welcomed new members Bob Suchka (Such), Dennis Reid (from Post 107) and Mark Stephens into Chapter 3. New member Don Massey (from Post 107) wasn’t able to make it. I also mentioned that friends of David Colvin, David & Tracy Smith are interested in joining. WELCOME FOLKS! We are glad to have you on board.
- After the Treasurers Report we opened the floor for discussion on the Legacy Ride; suggestions and comments. There was good input from a number of members including Jeff and Wayne who also said they would like to serve on next years committee for the ride. Sandy collected all the donations that came in for the Fund. It was also mentioned how much work Sandy does in keeping all the books and membership records squared away and up to date. Thanks Sandy. I also mentioned that both Commander Patterson and Adjutant Collins contributed to the Fund through the Riders. Thanks to everyone who was able to help out on this worthy cause.
- I mentioned about how I appreciated the professionalism of Chapter 3 at the recent escort and funeral for PFC Barrett Austin. We were able to give the Chapter 3 plaque to a family member who broke down in tears when he received it. He said he would make sure the family would get it.
- I also encouraged members who participate in missions to make sure they send their reports in to Rog. I appreciate the time and effort Rog puts into the keeping of records for the Chapter.
- At the next meeting we’ll ask for an update on the MISSING IN AMERICA PROJECT from David, Mario and Steph.
- Upcoming events for the month of May were talked about:
A. ARMED FORCES DAY PARADE, Saturday, May 18th, downtown Greenville. Wayne will be sending out specifics the week of the parade. We will need to be at the Sun Trust building
Downtown by 3 pm in the afternoon. Parade starts at 5 pm. Free tickets are available to the ball game afterwards. Let Sandy know if you want any. They are for parade participants.
B. POST 3 MEETING, May 21st. I encouraged all veterans to attend this meeting for the election of new Post 3 officers. This is an important meeting and hope you can all make it.
Supper starts at 6:30 downstairs ($6 per person). If you can’t make supper, be upstairs by 7:15.
C. MEMORIAL DAY CEREMONY at County Square. The Riders were asked to participate. Starts at 10 am. More info to follow.
D. SUMMER CONFERENCE at the Hyatt here in Greenville. The Riders will be part of the opening meeting on Saturday, June 1 at 9 am when all the monies raised for the Legacy Fund are
Presented to the State Commander. After that meeting, we will go on a ride up to the mountains, have lunch and be back in Greenville around 2 pm for the Rider meeting at 3 pm.
Chapter 3 will be posting the colors. Make sure your bike is gassed up and ready to go prior to the 9 am meeting.
E. There will probably be a Chapter ride on Saturday, May 25th. Wayne will send out more info later.
7. Other events mentioned last night were:
A. Rog and the Blue Star Moms will have a booth at the Simpsonville Freedom Aloft Balloon Festival on May 25th. Stop by and say hello.
B. On Friday, May 31, from 4-7 pm, Post 107 will be having a BBQ dinner. All are invited. Some of our members are from Post 107 in Westminster. Tickets are $8.00.
C. Gene mentioned about the Wounded Warriors ride event coming up Monday, June 17th in Easley that some of the problems we had last year have been addressed.
Last year we rode as a Group and probably will this year as well. We can talk more about it at our June meeting.
The last item of business on the agenda (that I wasn’t aware of), was a plaque of appreciation given to me by Jeff in behalf of all of you for leading the chapter over the past 3 or 4 years. It was a very thoughtful gesture and humbling for me to receive. We have a great chapter and you folks are what makes it so great. Thanks to each one of you for who you are and what you do. Without you there would be no Chapter 3. I count each one of you as a friend and value that friendship very highly. Thanks.
Ride safe and take care,