ALR Chapter 3 July 2013 Meeting Minutes
Minutes of ALR Chapter 3 monthly meeting called to order at 1830 hours 11 July 2013;
12 Members in Attendance as follows:
1. Once the meeting was called to order, Chaplain Gene Neville opened with prayer and asked God’s help to heal both Philip Daniel while recovering from a heart attack over the July 4th holiday weekend, and for Mel Seckel who is also having medical issues as well. May ALR continue to help other veterans who need assistance and our prayers.
2. Motion made and seconded to waive reading of June 2013 last meeting minutes.
3. Sandy Reece – Treasurer’s Report:
17 June 2013 Beginning Balance $1,418.95
Assorted Deposits 372.45
Withdrawals (Dues) (15.00)
11 July 2013 Ending Balance $1,776.40
Sandy noted that she had received a $15.00 check from Carolyn and Alexander McBride for the 2013 Wreaths Across America (we are still involved in this as a Charitable Organization). The money will eventually be turned over to that organization.
Motion made and seconded to accept Treasurer’s Report as read.
4. Dave Colvin was asked to give and gave a synopsis of his 7,000+ mile cross country motorcycle trip for the period
28 May 2013 - 2 July 2013. Dennis Reid also talked about his just completed 1,800 mile motorcycle trip to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Dave Schuppert encouraged all riders to share their motorcycle rides with other members in the future as well.
5. Wayne Reece - Ride Captain Report:
– ALR Chapter 3 Ride to Camden, SC Revolutionary War site last month was a major disappointment as to the site itself as hard to find and very little to see. However, the ride itself went well and members enjoyed the fellowship of being together.
- Future Rides:
Anticipating Chapter ride for Saturday, 20 July 2013, most likely into the mountains where it would be cooler than our immediate area. Wayne will notify Chapter members via E-Mail on ride details.
It had been suggested to also ride on Sunday 28 July 2013 to attend the antique motorcycle event being held in Chesnee, SC if there is an interest. Wayne will look into a few more of the details on that event and provide via E-Mail to Chapter members.
An overnight ride is being considered for August 2013 (exact date to be determined), most likely into the Cherokee area (Secretary Note: I’m not sure where that is). Wayne is working the details on that ride to include available hotels/motels which he will provide via E-Mail to Chapter members.
A two overnight ride is being planned for 13-15 Sep 2013, to visit the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA.
This will be a for pleasure ride only. Details will be provided via E-Mail when ready for distribution.
ALR Chapter 3 is not planning to participate as a Chapter in the 4-6 Oct 2013, cleaning of the Korean War Memorial, Washington, DC as part of the SC State Chapter’s efforts. However, the event is open to any of our members should they wish to participate. Dave Schuppert could provide them with contact information if requested.
Wayne reminded all Chapter members of the need to have a ALR Ride Waiver signed and on file with him to participate in all Chapter rides. New members should see him for the appropriate Waiver Form to ensure they are in compliance with ALR rules.
6. Mario Walker noted that AL Post 3 will be having as a guest speaker at their 16 July (Tuesday) meeting, the VA Greenville Clinic Director who will be talking about clinic services, etc., available to veterans/prior service members.
7. Jeff Hix will take the lead on collecting and coordinating information regarding the 2014 Legacy Ride. This would also be a good time to submit any suggestions/ideas related to the next Legacy Ride for Chapter member consideration.
8. Dave Schuppert wants the Chapter to get up to speed by the August Chapter meeting, on the Missing In America Project which our Chapter agreed to become involved in and for which several of our members agreed to work directly on (Mario Walker has the lead). Dave Colvin asked the question if Legion Post 3 has someone involved in this already who we could talk to, but was advised that the Missing In America Project is a ALR mission and not part of the Legion as a whole. Dave Schuppert noted that Steve Goulet, ALR Chapin, SC Chapter is a major player in the Missing In America Project and he will provide contact information for our members to make contact with him (Steve Goulet).
9. Question was raised regarding the 2013 Wreaths Across America Project as to whether we want to support (financially) this action again. No specific commitment was made and was tabled for the time being. However, Dave Schuppert did suggest that we at least physically participate as a Chapter in the event in Dec.
10. Motion was made and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 1908 Hours.
Veterans Honoring Veterans,